Friday, November 20, 2009

El Paso, TX

We left Big Bend behind and hit the road for El Paso Texas on Wednesday. It was a long but uneventful drive, and we arrived mid afternoon. Paul’s parents had invited us to a dinner that was being given for the members of the El Paso Community Foundation and their families. It was great that we were able to get there in time to attend with them. We met several people who are on various committees with Tom and Gerry, Paul’s parents. The amount of energy and dedication that they all have is awe inspiring. Rather than spending their retirement growing “old”, they stay active, giving back to the community financially, but more importantly, with their time and energy.
From the Assistance League, to The Community Foundation, with other foundations and committees in between, Tom and Gerry dedicate a large portion of their time working to better the lives of others. It really makes me feel like I (like most people) don’t do enough. One of the things I would like to do while on the road is to work for Habitat For Humanity. I’ll have to check into doing that.

Yesterday we took our truck in to get the oil changed and get the air conditioning fixed. They still have the truck today, and lucky for us we were able to borrow a car so we can get around easier. We did a bunch of errands and bought 2 more batteries for the Everest, which will make it easier to spend a night or two without electricity.
We’ve had a relaxing time hanging out with Paul’s parents. After hiking so much, it feels nice to slow down a little bit. Jess flies in next Tuesday night for the Holidays and has informed me that we are going to see the newest Twilight movie. First I have to finish the first Twilight book!
Tomorrow we head to Hueco Tanks State Park for the day to take a tour of the pictographs.

1 comment:

  1. Hi You Guys! Dan Hammond here. I enjoyed perusing your postings tonight - how envious I am of your travels! I am just thrilled that you guys are doing it. When it warms and you head back toward the central US, make certain that you put KC on your list - particularly for our mountains and ocean views. We are well here and healthy and thankful for all we have. Enjoy Thanksgiving in El Paso and I'll check in again later....

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive