Thursday, November 11, 2010

...♫...on the trail again....♫.

Boy did it feel good to start hiking again.  We did a 3.5 mile hike today, which isn't much, but its a start. The sun was shining and the temperature was in the high 50s- perfect.  My foot handled it ok, but I am tired.  It's been so long since I've been active, and I have lots of "restaurant" pounds to take off.  It was even warm enough to have a fire when we got back to the trailer.  We are at a campground on the PA, NJ, NY border.  Its nothing to write home about, but there are not many campgrounds open this late in the season this far north.
The hike we did was in High Point State Park NJ, which contains, of course, the highest point in New Jersey. There is a Veteran's Memorial at the top of the hill, but strangely enough (since it's Veteran's Day) it wasn't open. Tomorrow we leave here, but we have no idea where we are headed.  Maybe Gettysburg?
       I have spent the last couple of days playing with my "new" phone.  Its been about 10 years since I've really had a brand new phone.  Somehow someone always wants the latest and greatest (Iphone etc) and I get the castoffs.  Usually I don't really care, and thats true this time as well.  My son had a nice smart phone, a vast improvement over my old flip phone. I got to have his phone because of a dilemma he had.  As he said, its similar to when I married Paul, who, at the time, had been working for Ford for 20 years.  Unfortunately when we got married, my car was a  Buick.  He was patient, and waited a few months, but then said it was a little difficult to have a Buick in his driveway, and all the neighbors were teasing him unmercifully.  Since my new car was a brand new Taurus, I didn't complain too much.
       Well, Stephen started his new job with Verizon Wireless, and has been leaving his AT&T phone at home gathering dust. He has no need of a personal phone and in fact it's annoying having two phone numbers, so he gave me his phone and made the move to Verizon.  Of course he is trying to recruit us, but we'll be under contract for quite a while yet.

3 comments:

  1. We were finding closed campgrounds when we were there and that's been a few weeks ago. We also found some monuments and other museums closed because of winter. Glad your foot held out for your hike. It won't be long before you're back to those marathon hikes you guys do. But I'm sure glad you do them cause then I get to see all the neat pictures of places I won't ever get to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the hike. When we took off for this life walking every day was one of my goals. However, its amazing how I seem to do everything but! I'm always saying when I get to....so now maybe when I get to Big Bend??? Stay warm as you head south!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of phenomenal hiking in Big Bend!
    I have 2 10 pound weights that I swore I would use and I end up lifting them up to get the dust off them.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive