There are numerous scratches in my field of vision. I thought I was so smart, bringing Paul’s spare glasses, just in case ( he being the driver and all), but I figured the chances of my breaking my glasses was slim, so I didn't bring my spares. Mistake!
This is one of those wonderful scenic drives that everyone says to make sure you drive on a clear day. We didn't have time to wait.
Only the first few miles are paved-It soon turns into a windy dirt road that we wouldn't have wanted to tow our trailer on.
The weather actually did eventually clear somewhat and the views were pretty spectacular. We took the guided tour of Independence mine, which does not include a trip into the actual mine itself. Independence was a mine that operated during the 1930s and 1940s. In it’s heyday, 200 workers lived and worked in this small village.
After World War II, the price of gold was controlled by the government and the extraction costs were too high to keep the mine open. Eventually the land and buildings were sold to the state of Alaska.
I always wanted to see what gold looks like when its embedded in quartz, just so when Paul and I are hiking in gold laden areas we know what to look for!
Many of the side roads in Alaska have numerous places to pull off and spend the night. We found a good one on Hatcher Pass and had a creek side campsite all to ourselves.
While sitting around the campfire for the last few days, we've been putting together our “exit strategy” for Alaska. Many of the campgrounds close at the end of August, when the weather here starts to change. It’s hard to believe the summer is almost over!
At least you didn't have to wait the 2 weeks in Anchorage. I do hear that Costco service is great. So far we haven't needed them.
ReplyDeleteIt's sure nice to find the stores we like every place we go. We really like Costco too.
ReplyDeleteYou're both brave. I don't think I could just pull over and spend the night so far away from help and civilization.
ReplyDelete