Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Escaping The Heat (06-05-15)

What’s the difference between 470 and 7500? If you answered 7030, obviously you would be correct.  But in my particular example, the more important difference between those two numbers is about 25-35* F.  At 470 feet above sea level, Havasu temperatures are in the 80s and 90s.  At 7500 feet above sea level, the temperatures would be in the 60s and 70s.


LHC weather


williams weather

I was perusing the literature and brochures that Paul and I had picked up about Havasu and surrounding areas, when something caught my eye.


Hualapai Mountain Park

This park is less than an hour and a half drive from Havasu, but it sits at an elevation of 7500 feet. Lake Havasu City is at 470 feet, so instead of the 98* in that it is in Havasu, the temperature was only 73* at the park.



Hualapai Mountain Pk We made a day trip out there and hiked one of several trails- we ended up hiking about 6 miles with 1400 feet of elevation gain.  Hiking at such a high elevation knocks the wind out of you pretty fast when you haven’t acclimated to it. We elected not to overdo.










flowerWe were pretty happy with that outing, even though the trail was nothing spectacular.










You might wonder where all my pictures are.  I mean, two measly pictures is not much.  Well, I’ll tell you. I took my good camera on that trip because I didn’t think we’d be doing a long hike. So that’s where my pictures are.  Still in the camera.

Here’s what happened.  Although the weather hasn’t been nearly as hot as it will be in a month or thereabouts, boredom and frustration are setting in.  We have not heard from the city about our house plans, so there is nothing we can do to move the project forward.  Rather than sitting and twiddling our thumbs, we loaded up the camper and left (and I left my good camera behind).

House Update

Nothing to see here.  There is nothing happening on the house at this point.  Apparently, the city is experiencing a mini housing boom so it’s taking a long time to get house plans approved.
We have been shopping around though…..
a potential back splash…
IMG_4694

Or, maybe this…
IMG_4697

Originally we were thinking a granite in the brown tones, in order to be neutral, but realistically, we will be decorating in a lighter, Caribbean-ish theme, so we have (pretty much) decided to go with our favorite granite- the Blue Pearl.

blue pearl granitejpg

We already have one end table that features this granite- its one that Paul made a few years ago. We are hoping we can find a slab that leans more towards the gray tones, and less towards the blue.

5 comments:

  1. My two cents worth - I like the second example of back splash. Sorry it's taking so long for the plans approval. It is warm but I'm afraid it is going to get a whole lot hotter before we can get out of here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah Sandie, if we use the first one I think it would just be as an accent with most of the back splash being a sandy color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like #2 too because it's different. Sometimes different is good but your decision to make. It's been hot here considering where we are. Temps have pushed 90 and I don't like that one little bit either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first back splash but I like the second one better. The first would soon be too intense for me.

    Waiting for a house to be built is hard. We once had to move into an extended stay motel for a month while our house was being finished. At least you have better options than that.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive