Saturday, July 3, 2010
July 4th weekend
For years, the week of July 4th has been a particularly fun time for me. For the many years that my dad and I had a boat, we would take that boat onto the Charles River for 5 days with a bunch of other boating friends. We'd all tie up together, and then the party would begin! Of all the years I've made that trip, 1998 was the most special. For the first time after the death of my dad, I had to drive the boat by myself the 3 hours from Danvers to Boston. On July 2, 1998, with my boat tied up to 8 others, I was having a grand old time partying. A solo boater pulled up and asked if he could tie his 30 ft boat up to mine for a couple of days, since it looked like we had a safe spot with a great view. My friends and I agreed we had room for him, so a few minutes later his boat was secured and he spent the next 2 days partying with us. That solo boater was my husband Paul. Two years later we were married, and I've never been happier.
Life brings changes, and we no longer have a boat, and although every July 4th I miss my boating friends, the memories of our Boston trips will always make me smile.
As for the last few days, we did take our dinghy out on Table Rock Lake for the day on Thursday. We packed a picnic lunch to eat out on the lake, and the water was the perfect temperature for swimming. Thursday night our show was "The Haygoods"- a family of 8 siblings who not only sing great harmonies, they play most of the instruments themselves as well. All of them play the fiddle, which made their rendition of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" awesome. I really enjoyed the show. Afterwards they asked the audience to stick around because they had a film crew from L.A. there to tape a live version of their new original song, and they needed an audience for the filming. It was fun being there while they did 4 takes. Who knows- maybe someday we'll see ourselves on TV.
Yesterday it was time to zip on the ZipLine for the first time! I was a little nervous as I let go of the tower for the first time, but after that initial moment, I really enjoyed the trips along the cables. Would I do it again? Probably not unless there was something new and unique to it. It was a lot of money just to zip on 4 ziplines for the heck of it. It was fun though, and I wanted to try it, to see how it was.
Last night we went out to dinner at a small Mexican restaurant- the Margaritas were great, and the entire dinner was under $50. Not bad.
Paul started the day feeling a little lazy, and then feeling guilty for feeling lazy. We didn't feel like venturing out too far, and it is supposed to rain today, so he is doing projects around the trailer, and I am doing laundry and catching up on paperwork. Tonight is our last show- a comedian named Paul Harris.
Labels:
boating,
Branson,
fourth of July,
July 4th,
Missouri,
MO,
Table Rock Lake,
zip line
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


What a great story about your meeting Paul. Jim asked me to dance and that was the beginning of our lives.
ReplyDelete