Wow, I have to stop making reservations! We usually wing it and don't make too many reservations at all, unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I guess I figure my compelling reason right now is: it's summer.
We have never traveled in the summertime and I don't want to be caught with no place to stay, so I have been researching constantly for the last day or so (nothing else to do anyway!), and I've made a few reservations. We have our site reserved in Silver City, since thats our first stop, we have our site reserved in Fresno, since there's really only one RV park in the city, and we want to be there. We made our reservations for an Escapee's Park near Yosemite, so that we will definately have a place to stay there. Its not the closest place to the park, but its inexpensive and we like the people. I also re-looked at the lodge inside the park and found a heated tent available for the night before, and the night after our "scheduled" Halfdome hike, so I modified that reservation. I am guessing there were more available tents because people have canceled their reservations for them. That makes me a little nervous, because the Yosemite website has moved the projected opening of Halfdome hiking to June 1 at the earliest. Our date to hike it is June 9th, so, there is a definate chance that it won't be hikable by then, but we have until June 1 to cancel our tent reservation without penalty. If we aren't pretty sure we can do the hike, we'll cancel the tent because just the "tent" accommodation is costing us $120 a night. Certainly not worth it if we don't need to be up at 5 am.
I also reserved 3 nights in Great Smoky Mountain National Park in TN, for the last few days before we have to be in Columbia, SC. When I started looking at Zion, Rocky Mountain, and Bryce, I had to call a halt. Whew. ( I am pretty sure that's more reservation information than anyone wanted to hear.)
We were going to go up to the trailer to check it out and bring the first load of stuff back, but it's 91° outside and Paul's been outside all day already (chopping wood to bring with us.) We'll go tomorrow instead.
You wore me out just reading your post. Even traveling in the summer we haven't made very many reservations. We always seem to be able find someplace to park for the night - may not be an rv park but that's okay. It's only 56 here. FYI - a lot of states will not let you bring in wood from another state because of bugs and disease.
ReplyDeleteSandie, I am worn out too! I think I am done- we will wing the rest of the summer- I don't like feeling that we're on too much of a schedule. Sorry its only 56- did I hear you bring the rain with you too? Ha. I know about the firewood, not all states have issues, and some won't mind as long as its not from MI, OH, etc. If we have to dump it, so be it. :)
ReplyDelete